Thursday, September 8, 2016

Recycled Glass Windows {crystal privacy}

I have a front porch on my Victorian Farmhouse that has one wall of widow panes...I love it for the fact I get awesome natural daylight ...I hate them because you can see straight thru to the house if you are at the front door.



Over the years I have put curtains up which were just too heavy looking, and even tried that stick on window film that is frosted, which didn't let enough light in....and frankly looked a bit tacky.You can see it in the above picture...

One day I looked at a box of crystal glassware I acquired thru the years from grandma, my mom, and even just gifts...hmmmmm....others on Pinterest had don it with lids, so why not give it a whirl???

The only snag I could see was that they all did one pane of window, that they could lay flat...ya , this was not an option for me after spending a ton on reglazing all of them recently...

I did figure out a way to do it vertical...You must start at the bottom and work your way up the window...for gravity sake...

If you run a bead of E6000 glue around the edge of your piece, then apply the piece to the window, you must tack it in 4 places with a  bit of hot glue. Hold the piece for 1 minute til the hot glue cools and sets, then you can let go, and after your E6000 dries for 24 hours it will be permanent...

I love E6000 for durability and the fact that it dries crystal clear.




The glass globs are from The Dollar Store....you get quite a few in a bag, and I got large size and small size clear. You could use colored ones if you so choose. My house just has enough color going on already...

Start by putting all the large pieces , then follow with the large glass globs, then fill in all gaps with the small ones...oh and make sure you Windex all your pieces before applying. Not only does it make the glass sparkle, but it also removes any oil from your hands for best glue adhesion.






















See the video here...

Best believe if I did not have new windows in my house, I would be doing my kitchen with pink depression glass for sure!